Tuesday, September 29, 2009

First Meet

This weekend was one of a lot of stress and fun for me. I competed in my first Forensics Meet Ever. The meet was held at the College of Southern Idaho in Twin Falls. We left Thursday afternoon and drove the six hours. We all went to bed early because the next morning was full of last minute preparations and practices, at one we headed over to the college and the craziness began. I was entered into three events. IPDA which is a style of debate.Extemp where you are given a topic, thirty minutes to prepare, and then you must give a seven minute speech, and lastly a persuasive speech that I had prepared before hand on world hunger and what Americans can do to help.
I was really busy because I was double entered in Round A, so after Thursday night I went home with blisters on my feet, and a headache from debating the pros and or cons of the new heath care reform all day. Friday we headed straight over to the college and rounds started right at eight. I am really bad at the acting events so I sat those out and had a couple hours in the morning to prep for my huge rush in the afternoon.
Well here are the results. In my extemp I took second in two of my rounds and third in the other. Which is okay because I was going up against four year seasoned veterans. In IPDA I went undefeated in all of my five placing rounds. That means that I got a bye into the quarter finals with three other contestants. I lost my quarter finals match by one point. I was up against a boy that I had won earlier. Our resolution. Resolve, it is foolish to count the eggs before the hatching occurs. Take it for what you want it to mean. But I did get a little tiny trophey.
I had a blast last weekend. I love the Adrenalin rush that comes with debate. The whole team did awesome and I think that the new Snow College Forensic Team started off with a big bang. Here is a picture of the whole team, and I have to give a big thanks to Malyanda our coach without her we would have never made it this far!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Wow Meag! Nice job- that is very impressive! Congradulations!! :) I hope everything is going well for you and Travis, and that you are happy! I miss you! Good job again!!