Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Little Glimmer of Hope

A few months ago I wrote some posts about my dad. So much has happened since then and there is finally a glimmer of hope for my family and my sweet pappa. Most of you know that my dad has struggled with a nerve condition for well as long as I can actually remember. I knew when I was a little girl that my dad was different he was a special dad. Not only because he was always quoting movies, or starting water fights with the neighbor hood kids, but there was always something in his eyes hidden behind the permanent smile. I figured out as a teenager that the hidden stare was caused from pain, pain that my pappa kept silent from his children and friends. It was not until last year that I realized how bad the pain was.
For a year we have been waiting, praying, fasting, and just having faith that a solution to my dads pain would come. He has been scheduled for surgery many times, but the hospital always fell through. Things are changing in my pappa's life too. My dad is going to be a grandpa of a cute little boy Erin is expecting in January. When my dad found out he was estatic, but then he turned sober and said all I want is to be able to be a great grandpappa, to run and play with my grandkids.
I am happy to report that we are one step closer to my dads goal. Yesterday he found out that he has been scheduled for real this time. Next Friday September 4th second surgery of the day he will be wheeled in at 9:30. This may seem like a simple thing. A surgery people have them all the time. This is not a surgery though. This is a blessing one that means more to me than anything in the world. I have always been my daddy's little girls. Since I was two and tasted near beer and said that tastes good, my mom just handed me over to him and said you deal with her. I guess that always stuck. I love my dad more then words can express. I always tell Travis that my dad was my first true love and always will be.
I am so grateful that this is finally happening for my pappa. Not only am I so excited because he will get his wish, and that his body will no longer be putting a huge stop on the things he wants to do. But I am mostly happy that when I look in my pappa's eyes, that even through that permanent smile that they hold I won't be able to see that pain anymore. Just my pappa, his happiness, joy for life, and the love that he has for his family. This will not end everything, but it will make life so much better and I am so grateful for that.

2 comments:

JaKe and NaT* said...

yay!!! that is the best news ever.. i'm so glad that the day has finally come for his pain to come to an end!! Send him my love and good luckness:)

peterson said...

I am so excited for your dad! It's about that hospital does something! I am so happy for him.